It’s February 14.
You know what that means:
It means we should be celebrating our singleness!
Instead of lamenting what day February 14 is, let’s look at 14 reasons why it’s great to be single!
1. Forget what everyone else is doing: you can do your own thang. (Whenever, wherever.)
2. You make up your own food pyramid for dinner.
3. There’s plenty of time to spend with your girlfriends.
4. Being able to sleep through the night without any interruptions.
5. You can focus on pursuing your passions.
6. Shaving your legs is not necessary.
7. You can pick up and go anywhere without any strings attached.
8. Because all your eHarmony matches look like this guy:
9. You can keep your apartment just the way you like it.
10. You don’t have to spilt your holidays with anyone but your own family.
11. You can bless others by serving them with your time, gifts, and resources.
12. The television remote is all yours.
13. You know nothing is wrong with you. You are confident in who God created you to be. And you aren’t afraid to show it.
14. Because you have an unprecedented amount of time to be fully devoted to God right here, right now.
Like the president of Russia deeming the Olympic ceremonies open, I deem singleness the new black.
Because let’s face it: singleness is like glitter at a crafts table.
Now more than ever, people are getting married later in life. Now more than ever, articles about singleness are spreading like the bubonic plague. Now more than ever, singleness isn’t a curse. It’s OK.
And dare I say it, it’s COOL.
Sure, there are a host of reasons why our culture is seeing a plethora of singles: couples are already cohabitating, marriage isn’t viewed as necessary anymore, college grads are crippled by student loans, etc. But there are a host of different reasons You love singleness: we have unprecedented amounts of time to serve You in ways you created us uniquely for right now.
While our culture may view singleness as cool in their own eyes, I see singleness as cool from Your eyes.
I’m sensing a Paul revival a la 1 Corinthians 7:34-35 in light of 7:8:
Singleness: it’s all good.
Your happily single child,